Azure Collective

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Azure Collective

Forum for discussion of Maelstrom based LRP group: The Azure Collective

The Azure Collective is Looking for new members
Please see the Azure Collective Information Forum for more info relating to becoming part of the Collective.

+2
Bacci
Quetzli
6 posters

Odyssey - PD's next system

Quetzli
    Quetzli

Odyssey - PD's next system Empty Odyssey - PD's next system

Post  Quetzli Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:37 am

i really like the look of Odyssey, it looks like it might be good fun to have a go at playing.

Anyone else of the same opinion and if so have you looked at the website:

Odyssey

and have you got any thoughts on what you would like to play?

Greek, Egyptian, Roman etc. but also class/character. It looks like they are going to try and get people to play different classes of character, with 5 from each culture available.
    Bacci
    Bacci
    Chief Architect
    Chief Architect

Odyssey - PD's next system Empty Re: Odyssey - PD's next system

Post  Bacci Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:06 pm

I think its got some great potential. To be honest im not sure i trust anyone other than PD to pull this kind of thing off. I dont have any great ideas as yet though...
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Dabbler
    Dabbler

Post  Goodnoose Badnoose Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:39 pm

i totally want to be greeks (with a bit of masadon. Really easy kit (i'll be mostly naked) and easyest mind set to get into...
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:00 am

i had a chat with my mum about Odyssey last night and she has made some costumes that could be used in this.

Shes made mainly Egyptian stuff before, for obvious reasons, but shes done a few Greek-esque and Roman stuff before as well. On top of this she has loads of reference material for this era. Might be useful in the long run.

Personnaly i like the look of the Egyptian stuff, but that probably because i know more about that culture than any of the others. Carthaginians sound like they might be cool, same with the Persians.

Disturbingly, i think whatever culture you fancy going for Will, you can be as naked as you like!
    Queen Sharlindra
    Queen Sharlindra
    Queen
    Queen

Post  Queen Sharlindra Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:45 am

carthaginians was my initial thought as well
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Dabbler
    Dabbler

Post  Goodnoose Badnoose Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:26 pm

sigh. persians are efminate and culturaly handycaped(read boring)and would require loads of expensive opulent kit. we could play carthage but how many of us know anything about their actual culture?
    i'd do egypt but are you honestly telling me you know more about them than the greeks? did the egyptians even have any human heroes? my expereiance and age of myths would surgest not...
    Queen Sharlindra
    Queen Sharlindra
    Queen
    Queen

Post  Queen Sharlindra Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:45 am

my only problem with greece is that there will be more of them in play than any other nation for exactly the same reasons. If we play a culture that is a little less accessible we might find ourselves involved a little more. Remembering that this is a game which will probably not have a downtime system and have much more plot driven events.
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:50 am

im with simon on the fact there will be more greeks playing than anything else, it seems 300 has has a large affect. But saying this the greeks do have all the best and most well known heroes.

I personally know more about egyptians than any of the other cultures due to be surrounded by the stuff for my entire life. They did have some "heroes" but these were more like successful generals rather than heroes like Jason and all that.

A problem that the Egyptian "Heroes" have is that they often became gods after being seen as a great leader etc. for instance Amonhotep, who became Amon-Ra

What really draws me to the Egyptians is that there is going to be interactions with their Gods more so than the other cultures. I reckon this because out of all the culture's gods, (although i dont know anything about the carthaginians) there were the ones most likely, in their mythology, to walk around with humans. The Greek gods just seemed to play with the humans but not actually be around them, ditto the roman gods, and the persians seem to have only one God.

The idea of the Greek mythical beasts appeals to me loads though. Running around killing cylops, minotaurs and all that shiz sounds pretty cool.

Putting aside the question of culture, if you can, do any of you have any idea on what sort of character you would like to play? It seems like they are going try and make you choose from one of the following for each culture : Warleader, Warrior, Priest, Philospher, Worker
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:56 am

The Persian Culture review is now up on the Odyssey website:

Persians
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Dabbler
    Dabbler

Post  Goodnoose Badnoose Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:29 am

If your taalking man god interactions the cathaginians had sacred prostitues in their temples dedicated to their head god: Baal (interestingly also known as Dagon-no relation) who went on to inspire several gods of death and murder in trashy fantacys. Oh and while writing this i looked him up on wikapedia and found out the cathaginians used to burn their own children as offering to him.
    So um cathage are weird man...
    Bacci
    Bacci
    Chief Architect
    Chief Architect

Post  Bacci Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:02 am

Most historical articles on Carthage were destroyed by the Romans after the third Peruvic(??) war. So the ones that survive are from the victors ie the Romans... now to make people look bad they have to say they ate babies and stuff. Although the opportunity to worship Dagon, even if not entirely correct does appeal. CULTS!!
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Goodnoose Badnoose
    Dabbler
    Dabbler

Post  Goodnoose Badnoose Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:49 am

I'm slow coming around to being egyption and i think i'd want to be a warrior or war leader(if everyone else isn't doing the same). Means i can buy one of those square ended half curved swords.
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:46 am

Jim - Yeah thats what i know about Carthage, that mainly their history was written by pissed off Romans who had finally conquered them after all the Punic wars, and nearly getting conquered themselves by Hannibal and all that.

Will - I was starting to think about maybe being an egyptian warleader or temple guard. I quite fancy playing someone who can use a bow for once!

The Khopesh's that Shelford fx produces are very nice, and id be tempted to buy one too. But from what i know he is having a bit of trouble making the curved cores resiliant enough to be used in a long-ish weapon, short bladed knives are ok, but longer stuff has a tendancy to snap when used to parry a hard-ish blow. Although i might be a little late, as i know he is still trying to perfect the process.

Id quite like to see all the culture briefs and the rules before i start really making/buying kit (although that probably wont last).
    Bacci
    Bacci
    Chief Architect
    Chief Architect

Post  Bacci Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:57 am

i watched the mummy last night...

im down with egypt but like you say hugh, i would like to see the lore sheet first.... but fresh off the bat does anyone have any group concepts?

archers might be fun too... any idea if you can make larp bows shoot straight?
    Bacci
    Bacci
    Chief Architect
    Chief Architect

Post  Bacci Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:58 am

oh and can we have tudor dropping by from time to time as a wandering desert mystic?
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 pm

the problem with larp bows isnt the bows themselves, you can get perfectly good, even competition standard bows that are low powered enough to shoot at larp. But larp arrows dont shoot straight because of the massive piece of foam on the end, which has to be larger than an eye-socket.

You can even this up with a bit of training, and if loads of people just rain death then you win whatever. Im gonna learn how to shoot bare-bow (no sights, stablisers etc.) over the winter so i can shoot larp bows better.
    Bacci
    Bacci
    Chief Architect
    Chief Architect

Post  Bacci Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:57 pm

cool. are you able to source any cheap through archery contacts? 3-4 archers could be quite effective.
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:17 pm

to get a decent-ish bow that looks the part you'd be wanted to pay upwards of £60, but more like £80+ if you wanted a good one. I might be able to have a chat with a couple of people and see if i can wangle some discounts.

Larp arrows are more of a problem and quite costly if ive heard right. Not sure where we could get a job lot of them. But i could look into it too.

The other thing is what type of bow to get. It depends on what culture you play, the persian bows are different to the Greek, the Roman differnt to the egyptian, and i havent got a clue about cartaginian stuff.

Trying to find a bow to fit the culture may be harder than you think. Ill start having a look at stuff that could be used, and investigating what would fit what culture.

For a start i know that egyptian bows varied from being just bendy sticks, to slightly v-shaped ones, to complex recurve or decurve bows. Just depends on era and availabilty of a making to get them really.
    Bacci
    Bacci
    Chief Architect
    Chief Architect

Post  Bacci Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:23 pm

i was thinking recurve bows would satisfy immersion... oooh kit is so expensive..
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Yeah but what recurves.... there are about a million (slight exaggeration) different types of recurve, and getting one that looks right might be difficult. For instance korean style single piece recurves are probably the most widely available oldy-worldy style recurves, but these dont really look much like any of the bows that were used by the cultures in odyssey (this may however, be me just being picky!)

Ill see what i can dig up in the way of all thing bow and post stuff up in another thread.
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:13 am

Jim - Yeah thats what i know about Carthage, that mainly their history was written by pissed off Romans who had finally conquered them after all the Punic wars, and nearly getting conquered themselves by Hannibal and all that.

Will - I was starting to think about maybe being an egyptian warleader or temple guard. I quite fancy playing someone who can use a bow for once!

The Khopesh's that Shelford fx produces are very nice, and id be tempted to buy one too. But from what i know he is having a bit of trouble making the curved cores resiliant enough to be used in a long-ish weapon, short bladed knives are ok, but longer stuff has a tendancy to snap when used to parry a hard-ish blow. Although i might be a little late, as i know he is still trying to perfect the process.

Id quite like to see all the culture briefs and the rules before i start really making/buying kit (although that probably wont last).
    littlefeltfangs

Post  littlefeltfangs Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 am

With regards to the type of recurve bow: culturally appropriate bows would be amazing, but they aren't going to be in any way required. Bows ought to be substantially nastier than in many other systems, in the play-test bows would happily remove 1/4 of your opponents before they made it within swinging distance.

The amount of interaction you get with the gods should be reasonably standard across the 5 cultures, although the type will vary dramatically.

As for how much you know about Carthage: we considered trying to be historically accurate (a tricky proposition all things considered), then we decided it would be much more fun to assume that all the Roman propagander was true, so expect plenty of baby-sacrifice and worship of demon-gods.
    Maslow
    Maslow

Post  Maslow Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Me and a few mates are going for priestess and have temple gards, dont quite know which culture etc
    We decided on doing fresh entrail readings on the fri and bone readings on the sat/sun with specific reference to immediate futures. We are also going to do scrolls with predictions on them to take away.

We activly welcome any nakedness and will be trading oil scraped from gladiators. Oil with mystery whiskers in is worth so much more..............
    Quetzli
    Quetzli

Post  Quetzli Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:48 am

the carthage background is now up for a peak:

Carthage

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am